Individuals who try and earn a living often do so in conditions that are not satisfactory for a healthy and happy life or individuals who work in countries where they have not originated from having to often leave their loved ones behind in an act of sacrifice to provide for themselves and their families. Governments around the world have come to realize the importance of family and the impact that being around loved ones can have on an individual’s mental health. With mental health and security starting to become important issues that concern the life of a healthy individual, it is imperative to understand that staying with family and loved ones create a more nurturing environment where individuals can increase their productivity manifold.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR SPONSOR
An applicant can sponsor his/ her spouse if the applicant:
• Is at least 18 years old.
• Is a Citizen of Canada, a Permanent Resident of Canada, or a person registered under the Canadian Indian Act.
• Prove that he/ she is not receiving any social assistance from the government of Canada, for any reasons other than a disability.
• Can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor.
Is there any income requirement for Sponsor?
There is no such income requirement to sponsor a spouse/ partner. The applicant only needs to meet the income requirements if:
• The applicant is sponsoring a dependent child that has 1 or more dependent children of their own, or
• The applicant is sponsoring a spouse or partner that has a dependent child, and their dependent child has 1 or more children of their own.
Who cannot sponsor?
An applicant cannot sponsor a spouse if:
• Applicant is less than 18 years old.
• Applicant does not intend to live in Canada when the sponsor becomes a Canadian Permanent Resident.
• Applicant is not a Citizen of Canada, a Permanent Resident of Canada, or a person registered under the Canadian Indian Act.
• Applicant is a temporary resident in Canada.
• Applicant’s Canadian Permanent Residence (PR) application is still in process.
• Applicant does not have sufficient funds to support the sponsor (if applicable*)
HOW TO APPLY
• Both individuals in question shall be required to fill out their biometric details, such as their names, age, gender, and all other information that may be classified as biometric in nature.
• After the applications have been filled properly, the individuals will be required to pay a fee, which is applicable for the application.
• Individuals may also need to pay extra for the purpose of medical examinations or police certificates.
Medical examinations have become rather important lately as the world has shifted their focus towards regulatory health checks to ensure that the spread of all diseases is contained, and do not spread as rapidly as the Corona Virus happened to. After the applications have been received by the immigration office in Canada, a letter of interest shall be sent to the sponsor wishing to bring their spouse to Canada. Only after receiving the letter of interest should individuals go forth with the rest of the process.
The sponsors will always be chosen from a pool of eligible sponsors by way of a lucky draw.
Canada has one of the best acceptance rates of immigrants for work-related visas and with the viewpoint of the Canadian government towards the delicate issue of mental health and productivity of their immigrant workforce, Canada can be said to be one of the easier countries to sponsor one’s spouse or common-law partner to.
We’ll send you updates and special offers if you enter your email address.