ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR SPONSOR
An applicant can sponsor his/ her spouse if the applicant:
• Is at least 18 years old.
• Is a Citizen of Canada, a Permanent Resident of Canada, or a person registered under the Canadian Indian Act.
• Prove that he/ she is not receiving any social assistance from the government of Canada, for any reasons other than a disability.
• Can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor.
Is there any income requirement for Sponsor?
There is no such income requirement to sponsor a spouse/ partner. The applicant only needs to meet the income requirements if:
• The applicant is sponsoring a dependent child that has 1 or more dependent children of their own, or
• The applicant is sponsoring a spouse or partner that has a dependent child, and their dependent child has 1 or more children of their own.
Who cannot sponsor?
An applicant cannot sponsor a spouse if:
• Applicant is less than 18 years old.
• Applicant does not intend to live in Canada when the sponsor becomes a Canadian Permanent Resident.
• Applicant is not a Citizen of Canada, a Permanent Resident of Canada, or a person registered under the Canadian Indian Act.
• Applicant is a temporary resident in Canada.
• Applicant’s Canadian Permanent Residence (PR) application is still in process.
• Applicant does not have sufficient funds to support the sponsor (if applicable*)